Monday, October 15, 2007

We All Need the Clowns to Make Us Smile

So, just in case? You live under a rock? Or in Kansas? Today is Blog Action Day.

Kinda like an internet time-out, a time to point fingers at one another and focus on how we're all fucking up the Earth.

Which, okay, we are.

There are so many ways we are ruining the environment -- each and every one of through action and inaction.

And there's so much room for improvement. Honestly, everyone I know is working to improve the environment. We may not through free hugs and radical dancing, but we are doing.

It's not all that damn difficult to make small changes - as light bulbs burn out, replace them with those high efficient wiggly bulbs (yes, I believe that is what they are called on their labels, thank you very much); choose to purchase locally-grown produce, meat, dairy and eggs when available.

And hey, I've been going out of my way to avoid purchasing our favorite apples grown in New Zealand and choosing instead to purchase Washington state grown apples. It's not much, but it's a start.

One of the biggest (and most productive) changes we made was to no longer use any anything on our garden and lawn and to purchase as much organically grown food as possible.

Yes, it's a hell of a lot more difficult to walk around the garden and pull (or dig) weeds out by hand, to watch a fungus grow on a rosebush, but it's also so much better for all of us. The amount of birds, rabbits and butterflies have significantly raised in our yard and we plant plants for them as well (although it would be nice if you'd lay off my fucking tulips). Our grass has continued to grow despite six treatments of shit and without additional watering.

We've done other things to help out the environment and we want to continue to do more.

I'll be the first to admit it's kinda difficult breaking away with the Americanism of a disposable lifestyle and easily throwing things away without thinking first. But we're really working on it.

8 comments:

Kim -today's creative blog said...

Washington apples are better you know!
And we found those new lightbulbs for 99cents! AND............we drive a hybrid! We are near Portland afterall. :)

Hey, where's your blinkie?
:)

Chickenbells said...

Good for you! I hardly water my yard (we're having a drought, so I'm trying not to waste water and I don't use chemicals either...what's a little fungus or aphids between friends? And apparently the bees are starting to exit the state, so I hope other people realize this too) and I re-use all my grocery bags for the shop...and plead with people to bring me theirs...OH..I also recycle anything I can from the shop and haul it home to my bin...and the light from the squiggly light bulbs sucks ass in my house...but, I am still replacing all of the regular ones. I think the little things really add up don't they?

You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

I do what I must to sleep at night but in Santa Cruz being environmentally minded is pretty easy. Kind of a community wide focus in many ways.
Do what you can. That is all you can do.

Berber said...

I have been living under a rock the past few weeks... I had no idea about Blog Awareness Day!
I hope you're feeling better, by the way!!

Oil Cloth Junkie said...

Yeah, the movement seems to be catching on. Everyone wants canvas grocery bags for christmas, which just soo exciting for me to make. Woo hoo, there's just so much creativity in a canvas bag.

okay, sorry about that, it comes from waiting too long between my own posts so I feel the need to ramble here.

Great job with all the changes!

Rachel said...

you mean, you are supposed to pull out the weeds? I thought they were supposed to kill half the yard, and take over the empty flower beds...oh, wait, that's my house.

Anonymous said...

It isn't easy to give up being a rabid consumer. Society is set up to encourage that kind of thing, and the indoctrination starts early (especially for girls). But every little step helps!

Angelina said...

Like you, we're taking it step by step. Otherwise it can be overwhelming. I know there's a ton of changes for me to make still, but it feels good to be working on it.

Yay for you guys! And for everyone else who is making changes too.